Wearing my mustache in support of Gasoline Rally at Fox 59 on Saturday morning
Scooters rock. People kind of giggle and think whatever when I say that, but it is absolutely 100% true. There is a culture of people in Indianapolis that take scooters very seriously, are legal to ride, and have well planned out rides once a week. Black Market Scooter Club is awesome and the best thing that they do each year…have a rally. Last weekend I took past in my second Gasoline Rally (Gasoline Rally 4 – We Rally Long Time) and was blown away. I didn’t have a scooter to ride on Friday morning and a very nice man by the name of Art (75 years old too) let me borrow his vintage Honda Elite 150. Awesome. Art’s son Steve actually told me in the beginning, “let me see what I can do for you man.” Scooter people are good people.
Doesn't get any better than a big old vintage bike to ride the Indy Motor Speedway with.
On Saturday, another great friend Becca let me borrow her Yamaha Vino. A very cool and smooth ride that took me to the fun at Midwest Motorcycle Club. Fantastic. My rally was totally coming together.
The Yamaha Vino was a fantastic ride...and she growls like a lion.
Last year we didn’t get to ride the most famous track in the world, the coveted Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This year we did. That ride was one of the coolest things I have ever done. How awesome is that?!?! The MotoGP track took you on the famous oval and around the entire IMS grounds with zigs and zags and a few 360 turns that made me yell out and scream like a kid. I will never forget that experience…thank you Gasoline Rally.
Saturday was great as I started the morning with a plug for the rally on Fox 59 during our weekly DoItIndy segment. Lots of fun as I threw on the mustache bandanna to just be me and have a laugh. From there I drove the Vino down to the motorcycle club to help volunteer for the second day. On Friday I helped park scoots and help out wherever, on Saturday I kinda did the same thing to just help out. Always give back to organizations that do good for your community. My dad told me that as a kid that you always have to help others. Enough ADHD writing. Scoot races, fun games, Mabel on the Move and Scratch food trucks, great drink and the best people. The night ended with a party at Radio Radio and LaRevolucion in Fountain Square. Scootin was good.
Finally, my video of the track ride is below. The wind, the sun, the perfect evening to ride your bike on the most famous racetrack in the world. You can’t hear my yells, screams and wooohooo’s as I ride the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
I am very excited about our Top 5 list this week. Sometimes it is very hard to narrow down what the five events will be, but this week they kind of came to us. And…if you have not been to a show at Indy Fringe yet, this is the second and last week for the festival. Visit http://www.indyfringe.org for more information on the great art fest.
The Top 5 List…
5. The Moto GP is just cool. This is a new race to come to Indianapolis Motor Speedway just a few years ago. Along with the tradition of IRL and NASCAR there are events happening all weekend long. If you are at all interested in two wheeled fun, this is for you. www.motogp.com
4. Celebrating 125 Years of Baseball in Indianapolis. If you live in our city, you have to love the tribe. The Indy Indians have been with us for so long, we would be incomplete without them. If you have never been to Victory Field, you must go. This is an art exhibit at the NAMOS exhibition on the IUPUI campus. What is cooler than looking at art of America’s Pasttime? Great for all sports enthusiasts. NAMOS website at IUPUI
3. Gasoline Rally. I am a scooter rider. Scooters are absolutely awesome in my opinion and there isn’t a better time than NOW to scoot. Gas prices are way too high! Friday-Sunday you can go on scoots through the city with some of the professionals that Indianapolis has to offer. First, we get to ride our scoots on the MotoGP track (AWESOME!), second you get to hang out with all the motorcycles for Motorcycles on Meridian, third you get to meet some of the coolest and most down to earth people around. Too bad I sold my scooter earlier this year and have been off the road since. But, some of the cool scooter people have taken care of me and I will be borrowing a nice scoot for the Rally. Scootin is so much more than just fun…it becomes a lifestyle. www.gasolinerally.com
The Orange Bee. I sold this scoot earlier this summer. Haven't been able to get a new scoot yet...boo.
2. Feast of Lanterns. This is one of my favorite festivals in the city every year. On Saturday, August 27th you can visit Spades Park on the Eastside of the city for one of the most beautiful displays around. The entire park is lined with handmade/paper Chinese Lanterns. Food, music, community booths and the lanterns. Feast of Lanterns Facebook page
I took this with my point and shoot camera a few years ago at the Feast of Lanterns.
1. 2nd Dig-In A Taste of Indiana. (Showcase of local Indiana food, beer and wine). 32 local chefs from around the state along with brewers and winemakers will descend upon White River State Park to showcase their products. Food will be in abundance and you are bound to find numerous dishes that will tempt your palate, along with some great drink! The bonus for me is that my guys from Fermenti Artisan will be on hand with their all natural and local food and drink. Chef Shua and Mark Cox are friends of mine, so I help assist them with their social media in exchange for food. Hey, I’m a broke graduate school student…it works. Check out the urban farm boys at http://www.facebook.com/fermentiartisan.
For more on Dig-In, vendors, directions and more visit www.digindiana.org